I usually record my podcast episodes on Monday afternoon and have them up and running that same evening. Of course that leaves the editing with much to be desired when it comes to omitting a lot of background noises that you would like to clean out of a track. Then again, when recording through Skype and all audio feeds are in one track there is so much you can really do.
This time around I had the great fortune of doing an episode with my wife Claudia and we even got to record it on Sunday (a day earlier than usual). With this in-studio opportunity I decided to get a little ambitious. By using a mixer and recording in studio I was able to feed my sound on the left-stereo side while feeding Claudia’s on the right-stereo side. This little trick allows me to split the stereo-track into two mono tracks. Which gives me better access to all the annoying background noise that each respective mic picked up so I can clean it out.
The great thing about this trick is that I can do a more professional editing job. The bad thing is, like a professional job, this trick requires more time, focus and patience. So even though I recorded the show earlier than usual, it ended up getting posted today (three days later than usual). It wasn’t just a regular 3 days of editing. It was endless-up-to-the-wee-hours-of-the-night long.
Regardless of this frustration, I’m pleased with the result. It is the cleanest recording that I’ve posted to date. If I plan on going to the Institute of Audio Research this was definitely a good simulation of what I can expect to do professionally or at least a close proximity. My podcast is definitely a labor of love. It’s a fun hobby that I really enjoy doing and hope to continue it for some time. I do wonder though, if I plan on doing this level of editing on the next episode. I guess time will tell.